Saturday, September 12, 2026

strangers are your biggest supporters

​dear diary,

one of the biggest lessons i’ve learned over the last 3 years is that strangers are more likely to support you and your business/project than friends and family. the people in your life claim that they’re so excited for you, and will support you, but they don’t.

one big example is my career as an esthetician. my best clients are strangers who booked. it’s extremely rare that someone in my personal life books with me. i’m not saying they have to, it’s just something i’ve noticed. 

family and friends tend to not see your business/project as legitimate. they think it’s a “cute little side hustle”. no ma’am, i have a LICENSE FOR THIS, I WENT TO SCHOOL FOR THIS. they show up when you’re in school and need people to practice on, but once you have the license, skill and experience to charge what you’re worth, it’s crickets.

sometimes it’s also other beauty professionals. i have many friends in the beauty space (estheticians, cosmetologists, barbers, nail techs, etc.) and usually we’re all super supportive of each other. once they think you threaten their business, they will throw you to the wolves unfortunately. this actually just happened to me. this stylist (who i know and considered a friend) was cutting my husband’s cousin’s hair and also waxed his eyebrows and the back of his neck. whenever he said the wax really hurt, she then decided to tell him that my sugaring hurts worse.

excuse me? for context, i have sugared her before and she said it was great. everyone has a different pain tolerance and they’re entitled to their opinion, but i thought it was kind of ugly to put me down, and my line of work.

my husband thinks that she was just nervous that he’d want me to do those services instead of her, and that’s why she said it. i do choose to believe this, but i just don’t appreciate her bringing me up in the first place.

if you have to put others down to get to your goal, you’re pathetic in my opinion. i don’t put down waxers even though i do the sugaring. i think sugaring is better because of the product, not the professionals. i also think there are some really amazing waxers out there. we have the same goal for clients, just different ways of getting there and that’s okay. plus, having multiple options helps clients find the right fit for them. everyone is different and has their own preferences. 

what do you think? have you ever been in a situation like this before? what helped you have a better mindset about it?

until next time!

love,

cherry

♡ ───────── ♡

8 comments:

  1. I totally get what you meant about outsiders often being more supportive than the people who already know us. I think that sometimes, those close to us get so used to our presence that they don't realize just how important what we're doing is to us.

    I loved the post and the way you talked about this.

    Visit my blog | ♡ Oddly Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey milla! thank you for your awesome comment, you worded that so perfectly! i just visited your blog and related HEAVY to one of your recents. i'm glad i found someone who is similar in age to me!

      love,
      cherry

      Delete
  2. i love being a part of the cherry fam! :)))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and i’m so glad you’re here!!!!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’πŸ’

      Delete
  3. I feel that so, so much. I finally started my own assisted stretching and therapeutic massage business, and NONE of my friends or family took me up on my free sessions. Not one. I ended up deleting everything out of embarrassment. I went out and bought individual socks for each client to take, plus all the toiletries and snacks to have on hand.
    Even with my blog!! Only my online friends have been sharing, supporting, and commenting!
    Hard not to beat myself up about it, but I just pour back into the ones that are actually putting actions behind their words! Pour into those who pour back into you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. see you get it! you're also in the wellness industry so you reallyyyyy get it! i'm sorry your people didn't support your business, especially the FREE sessions?! it's so annoying! strangers will be your strongest supporters fr! wishing you the best with your business, and hoping you find your perfect clientele soon!

      love,
      cherry

      Delete
  4. I don't think I've had a similar situation, but I do relate to irl mutuals being blind whenever I shared my things. It's always my penpals and online friends from across the world who show up. But that's okay! Maybe the people irl weren't my target audience anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wait i love that mindset actually!! someone else commented that our closest people don't realize what they have and it's so true! wishing you the best <3

      love,
      cherry

      Delete